Friday, March 6, 2009

Suitcase Stuff

Why is it so hard to unpack after a trip? It seems that no matter the length of the trip I have issues with unpacking. It is so much easier to leave the suitcase on the floor by the bed for a couple of days and continue to live out of it than to actually pull out wrinkled clothes and dirty laundry; easier until my husband trips over it in the middle of the night or a cat thinks it can be used for a litter box. (That did actually happen years ago, but I have no cats living at home anymore. Ask me about my grand-cat.) Having returned late last night from a three day business trip I decided unpacking would make an excellent blog topic. I also decided I was too tired to actually clean/purge anything, so I unpacked. I won't list all of the items I unpacked; no one wants an accounting of dirty socks and undies, but I will pose a few questions inspired by my suitcase.
  1. Why did I take four pairs of shoes for a three day stay?
  2. Why did I take an outfit I never wore ?
  3. Why did I take two novels and three magazines? I barely read a page.
  4. Why did I take granola bars, tea bags and energy drink powder? My breakfasts and lunches were provided at the conference and my co-workers and I went out to dinner every night.
  5. Why did I take my ipod, ipod charger, and two sets of earbuds?
  6. Why did I take a camera with me to a work function? It's not like I would want memories to treasure in my dotage.
  7. Why did I take shampoo and conditioner when I always use the cute, good-smelling, little bottles on the hotel bathroom vanity?
  8. Same question for lotion.
  9. Why did I iron my clothes before I packed them?
  10. Why did I pack every medication known to man just in case I got sick and then forget to take take even my vitamins while I was away?

Just a few things to think about the next time I leave town.

2 comments:

Gene Jeansonne said...

that is a girl thing,I think. last week Mary made me pack a bunch of stuff I never wore. I knew I would not ware it. but I packed it anyway cause she told me to.

gene

Mary Owen Jeansonne said...

Jenny,
I just love reading your posting about cleaning and purging your "stuff". I particular enjoyed yesterday ('cause of course I just love news about my mom) and today I completely identified with the whole process. I finally put up stuff from Lubbock trip only because the maid was due to clean and I wanted the floor vacuumed. Of course she didn't show up but nontheless once I picked up everything it looked pretty good around here! Keep up the good works of purging. And I invite you to come visit and help me clean out the big box of Aunt Opal's things. Why O why can't I part with her things?? I suspect it is the same reason you listed for not parting with family things.