Friday, March 13, 2009

It's Time to Stop and Get Gas

I am taking a three day sabbatical from the internet and from “stuff.” It is nice to be able to do that. Nice to have a place to go where the “stuff” has been put there on purpose, not “stuff” that is the residue of living in a place for 25 years. My retreat is a small cabin on a lake 45 miles from my home; it feels like 4500 miles from my home. The geography changes drastically thanks to a feature known as an escarpment. Millions of years of erosion have caused the land to give away leaving a beautiful landscape drastically different from my day-to-day surroundings. I drive about 45 minutes, hit the escarpment and feel like I am in a different country. I mentally leave all of my “stuff” on top of the canyon before I descend to my new world. Of course, it is there waiting for me on my return trip, but at least I have had a day or two to breathe unencumbered by the stresses and obligations of my life.

I am leaving this morning for three days of freedom. I feel like a kid on the eve of a Disneyworld trip. Don’t get the wrong idea – the three days will not be filled with crowds and non-stop excitement. My three days will be filled with quiet and solitude, sleep and rest, reading and writing, good food and the good company of only one other soul.

These three days will be just what I need to come back to the “stuff” of my life – my work, my obligations, my stresses, my life. To come back to the “stuff” with a renewed vision, a renewed strength, a renewed desire to keep moving forward in this wonderful, crazy life I have created for myself. Of course, knowing that my refueling station is only an hour away helps.

No comments: