Thursday, March 19, 2009

Not My Stuff - Day Two

Today I set my goal a little higher – remove/deal with 10 items from my daughter’s room/office/guest room instead of the paltry 5 items I worked on yesterday. These are the items from today’s purge:

  1. A gi-normous hot pink plastic exercise ball with a cartoon of Dora the Explorer on it. My daughter has been promising to take this to her house for months, but it wouldn’t fit into her car. It is now in my SUV awaiting delivery to its new home.
  2. A silver plastic milk crate-style storage box full of perfumes, lotions and soaps. Most of these were tossed because they smelled “old”. A few I kept in the guest bathroom for guests who might like to smell like a sixteen year old girl or a Bath & Body Works store.
  3. A maroon bean bag chair. As tempted as I am to see if one of the dogs would use this for a bed I think I will donate it to a charitable re-sale shop where an aspiring Aggie Interior Design student might pick it up and make good use of it.
  4. Washington Quarters State Collection 1999 – 2003 Volume 1 and Washington Quarters State Collection 2004 – 2008 Volume 2. After noticing my daughter removed all of the coins I put these in the donation pile.
  5. A cell phone face plate – for use on Nokia 5100 series that we probably haven’t owned since the mid 1990s. Donation pile - on the odd chance that the one person in the world who still might be using a Nokia 5100 series phone happens into the charitable re-sale shop.
  6. The 90s punk rock equivalent of the Monkees, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and Bobby Sherman magazine photos I once plastered all over my teen bedroom. Photos covering two closet doors, floor to ceiling - enough to fill two grocery bags, which I carried to the trash.
  7. Three throw pillows in the midnight blue and silver celestial star theme that went with the décor before the black hole/punk rock phase. Donation pile.
  8. Two bowling pins. Donation pile. Don't ask me why my daughter had two bowling pins in her room.
  9. A lava lamp. I am keeping this – there is something about a lava lamp. I am a child of the 70s.
  10. Something called a butterfly chair. A very strange apparatus made for sitting. If I can figure out how to sit in/on it I may keep it.

So, a slightly larger dent in a slightly smaller mess; before I know it I just may have that office/guest room I’ve been dreaming of for several years.

No comments: