Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's Not My Stuff

Now that I have inherited an entire room of stuff I'm not quite sure what to do with it. It is one thing to purge my own stuff, but I have discovered it is quite another to purge stuff that belongs to someone else. I walked into Daughter #2's room/my office/guest room no less than fifteen times today with the intention of beginning the purge; it was just too overwhelming. So today I went back to the "just remove x number of things" strategy. It was late, I was tired, so I only removed 5 things today:
  1. 2 Jan Sport backpacks one gray, one navy blue - Neither backpack looks like it has ever been used. I will definitely KEEP.
  2. A denim Levi jean jacket, size small - KEEP - I can't wear this, but I moved it to the hall closet, because one day someone will need a perfectly good Levi jacket.
  3. 2 very heavy Hefty bags full of clothes - The old me would have second guessed my daughter and gone through the bags. I am proud to say I didn't untie either bag. I am going to DONATE both bags even though I could tell there were several pairs of blue jeans in the bags and I had to vanish the thought of making a blue jean quilt. (I have actually made a blue jean quilt in the past. Don't have any idea where it is now. I just remember I went through many many sewing machine needles making it.)
  4. A monogrammed baton bag containing 2 batons from Daughter #2's twirling days. She was quite good and I was sad that she quit before she got to high school where she certainly could have been a feature twirler. KEEP - as crazy as it sounds I cannot bring myself to get rid of this. I will put it in the toy closet and maybe one day I will have a grandchild who would like to learn to twirl. (Or more likely, a grandchild who will break a lamp or an irreplaceable antique with a baton.)
  5. A Bible inside of a cloth carrying bag - KEEP - I like to think one day my daughter will want this back.

A very small dent in a very big mess, but it is a beginning.

No comments: