Monday, March 1, 2010

Monday

Today is going to be a horrible day. My work week is going to be so jam-packed-busy there is no way anyone human can possibly accomplish everything I must do. Today will determine the rest of the week and I dread it. The only way to deal with my day, my week, is to just do it. (Apologies to Nike for using their slogan.) The sooner I get to my week’s “to do” list, the better my chances of success, but this morning I just want to pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep. I’m exhausted from a night plagued by bad dreams.

The worst dream involved receiving a voice message from a friend telling me she would be late returning from a trip and would I please continue feeding her dogs for one more day. In my dream I was horrified because I hadn’t been feeding her dogs – had no idea I was responsible for taking care of her pets. I had no memory of being in charge of this chore. I couldn’t recall having been asked. I had no key to her house or an alarm code. How could I have forgotten something so important? How could I ever face my friend if I were responsible for the scene she was sure to discover when she arrived home?

Dreams are like that. The mind has the ability to grab one tiny thread of worry or doubt and then produce a feature length motion picture starring you and your worst fears. I left too much undone at the office last week and I am unprepared for my hectic week. Every time I almost thought about work this weekend I pushed the thought from my mind. “Fiddle-de-dee,” said the Scarlet O’Hara of my subconscious, “I will think about that tomorrow.” Now tomorrow is here, and as my dream reminded me, I’m scared to death I have forgotten, or will forget, to do something majorly important.

So there really is no other choice, covers back over the head is not an option. Carpe diem and all that jazz; I’m off to seize the day. No animals will die on my watch.

No comments: