Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Night Blues

I’m always a little blue on Sunday nights, the weekend is over and even though I enjoy my job, I’m never quite ready for Monday morning to arrive. The weekends are too short, I never manage to get everything done I had hoped to accomplish. This Sunday night I am even bluer than ever. This Sunday night marks the end of our family reunion celebrating my grandmother’s 103rd birthday. Tomorrow morning I will go back to the office and my family will board airplanes or load up their cars for the trip home. How sad we can’t all live in the same town and see each other more than a few times a year.

I wonder what it would be like if we did all live in the same town. My grandmother has 95 direct descendants, when you add in the spouses that is a boatload of kinfolks. Our weekly family dinner, Wednesday Winers, could no longer be held at my grandmother’s house (we were able to seat 44 in her den last night for dinner, but that maxed it out), we would have to rent a ballroom. The quiet evenings I spend alone with my grandmother would no longer just be the two of us, with that many family members in town there would surely always be several relatives around. The care we give to my grandmother would be shared among all of the relatives, no longer just two or three getting to spend the time with her. There are so many wonderful aspects of the whole family living in my hometown.

The downside to having everyone within arms-reach is that family time would become routine, the novelty of seeing my relatives would be gone. I think I much prefer the excitement and anticipation of family reunions. I just wish we had our gatherings a little more often.

I’ll look at the reunion photos again and chase away the blues with the memories I made this weekend with my wonderful family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's incredible that you're family was able to come together for the weekend to celebrate Big Red. It sounds like it was a wonderful weekend - glad you all enjoyed it.