Saturday, February 20, 2010

Anticipation

I heard a news report the other day talking about the current crop of 20-somethings; I believe the reporter called them the “Me Generation.” Their unifying characteristic is – they want it all and they want it now – no delayed gratification for this group – no sir! Too bad for them because they are missing out on a great experience, they are missing the beauty of anticipation. Carly Simon devoted a song to it – it must be great. Heinz ketchup devoted an entire advertising campaign to it. I don’t find much pleasure in waiting for ketchup to come out of the bottle, but there is a certain pleasure in waiting for good things to come.

Next week my grandmother celebrates her 103 birthday. (She has really learned to wait for things!) All of my aunts and uncles and a good many of my cousins are “coming home” for the celebration. Our family gatherings are legend and it is rare when all of my grandmother’s surviving children are home at the same time. I’m almost giddy with excitement. I’m enjoying the anticipation of the reunion. I want to savor it, think about it, and feel the butterflies when I imagine the fun we will have together. I don’t want to rush headlong into a fast-paced weekend of whirlwind visits. I wish I could throw a slow-motion switch to make a three-day weekend last all week. I know Sunday and return flights will be here before I know it, so I’m beginning my reunion early – I’m relishing the anticipation.

By the eve of the birthday celebration I will be reminded of a different advertising campaign – not one for ketchup, but the one for Disney World in which the little kid says, “I’m too excited to sleep.” That’s what a good dose of anticipation will do for you. So sorry the “Me Generation” is missing out on this.

1 comment:

Gene Jeansonne said...

anticipating seeing you there