Monday, February 1, 2010

Ham Loaf



















Last month at a family dinner attended by Daughter # 2 and The Boyfriend, The Boyfriend mentioned he liked Ham Loaf. He's from Kansas and this is Texas - I'd never heard of Ham Loaf. Meatloaf I know, but Ham Loaf - that was a new one for me. The next day, totally out of the blue, I received an email from a dear friend and great cook containing a recipe for Ham Loaf. How randomly coincidental is that?

Tonight I prepared the Ham Loaf and it was surprisingly delicious. I am not a food stylist, but I thought I should offer photographic proof (and the recipe). (Perhaps I should also offer an apology to Daughter #2, the vegetarian.)

Enjoy!

Glazed Ham Loaf with Mustard Hot Sauce

1 ½ lbs. ground ham
1 ¼ lbs. fresh pork
1 ½ c. soft bread crumbs
2 beaten eggs
•Combine all ingredients and press lightly into oiled ring mold.
•Invert onto shallow baking pan and remove ring.
•Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, then brush with:

Sweet Sour Glaze
½ c. brown sugar
1 T. prepared mustard
2 T. vinegar
1 T. water
•Continue baking until done – about 45 minutes longer. Baste 3 or 4 times.
Serve with:

Mustard Hot Sauce
½ c. dry mustard
½ c. vinegar
•Mix, cover and let stand overnight.
In double boiler mix:
1 egg, beaten
1/3 c. sugar
dash salt
the mustard mixture
•Cook over hot (not boiling) water, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly and coats spoon.
•Cool and add equal amount of mayonnaise. Stir together and refrigerate. Serve with the Ham Loaf.

No comments: