Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Brain is a Terrible Thing to Clutter

Today is my 201st Cleaning House, a Memoir blog! What began as an attempt to purge my house of twenty-five years of collected “stuff” has turned into a platform for daily (or weekly, or monthly) mind dumps. Whatever is on my mind I’m free to throw out into cyberspace without the worry of Mrs. Wright, my fifth grade teacher, sending it back covered in red ink corrections. The blog entries are “off-the-cuff,” unedited, unrevised short essays (or rants) about my life, my family, my friends, and on rare occasions about cleaning my house.

I am a vain woman by nature, but not so egotistical as to think that anyone gives a damn about what I have to say. On occasion I may strike a chord (or a nerve) and on occasion I may make one of my aunts (usually Gail) cry when I write about my mother, but in general this blog is for me. It is my daily (or weekly, or monthly) therapy session. If I write it all down, get it all out, first thing in the morning, I free myself of so much mind clutter. It’s very similar to cleaning out the closets and drawers in my house – I get rid of the “stuff” taking up space, the “stuff” in the way, and make room for new “stuff” to be added later.

I have always heard that humans use only 10% of their brain, but I recently learned that is a misconception attributed to Albert Einstein. He was misquoted and it stuck. So in view of the new knowledge that we need all of the room in the brain we can get – it is important to keep it clean of all the unnecessary clutter – hence my blog, or my brain purge. It is important to me to have at least one area in my life that is neat and tidy and uncluttered and it sure isn’t my house. Let the blog roll on, this is post # 201 and counting.

No comments: