Friday, March 26, 2010

Home Is Where The Heart Is

Since 1953 the heart of our home has been my grandmother’s house. Every family gathering I can recall has taken place at her ranch style home. Tonight one of my cousins wanted some time alone with my grandmother, so the rest of us were displaced – temporarily. It is interesting to see the how we found our niche even when we couldn’t congregate at my grandmother’s house – we all ended up at my aunt’s home, just a few blocks away.

Home is where the heart is – all of our hearts – three generations of hearts congregated at my aunt’s house to share our love and concern for my grandmother. It doesn’t matter where we are, it doesn’t matter that we are not in the house my grandparents built and where they raised their 10 children – all that matters is the love that is gathered.

So, we were a few blocks away, we still acknowledged the love we have for our matriarch and acknowledged the love we have for our family. Our hearts were there – home is truly where the heart is. Tomorrow we will move the “heart” of our family back to my grandmother’s house, but just for tonight the heart of our family moved a few blocks to the east and gathered at Aunt Gail’s dining room table.

Thanks Gailee for hosting your family. It really doesn’t matter where we are – as long as we are together.

No comments: