Thursday, March 11, 2010

Homecoming Food

Daughter #1 is coming home for a visit tomorrow. In keeping with family tradition this means I must prepare her favorite foods. My mother began this food ritual when I went home on college weekends or holidays. At that time my favorite comfort food was my mother’s macaroni salad. It wasn’t the mayonnaise-laden gunk you see at salad bars, but a fresh vegetable and pasta concoction that only my mother could make, and make it she did – using the largest container we owned, which was the Tupperware “ham keeper.” When I arrived home I knew there was a vat of macaroni salad taking up an entire shelf of the second refrigerator in the garage. That harvest gold refrigerator was also sure to be housing Dr. Pepper, and my mother’s Revere Ware Dutch oven full of chili con queso dip. Knowing she had gone to the trouble of preparing my favorite foods made me feel special, spoiled, and loved.

When my daughters came home for college weekends the tradition continued. Daughter #1’s coming-home meal is tortilla soup and Daughter #2’s is potato soup. They each knew they were guaranteed their favorite meal upon arrival.

I must get out my soup pot (my Revere Ware Dutch oven) and start cooking. In addition to the tortilla soup I suddenly have a yen for macaroni salad.

No comments: