Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter Clothes

With Easter approaching I have memories of white patent purses and shoes, frilly dresses, and Easter baskets. Mother always made certain we had new clothes to wear to Mass on Easter Sunday. My sister and I got pretty dresses, white gloves, lacey anklet socks, and white straw hats held securely to our heads by an elastic string under our chin. My brothers got slacks, crisp white shirts and clip-on bow ties. Daddy usually wore his best suit, but with freshly polished shoes and a new tie, not a clip on – one he tied in a most complicated fashion. Mother looked more beautiful on Easter Sunday than any other day of the year, wearing a slim dress, a glamorous hat, and high heels which made her thin legs look like a movie star’s.

I followed the family tradition of outfitting everyone in new clothes for Easter. My daughters usually had matching sister-dresses and the requisite white patent leather shoes and purses, plus a straw hat. Gloves were passé. My grandmother explained to me why we went through this ritual every year. During Lent we strive to better ourselves and on Easter Sunday we “put on the new man.” We dress in our new finery to show the new and better person we have become.

I no longer follow many of the Church traditions, but Lent and Easter customs seem to be deeply ingrained. This Easter I’ll celebrate the rebirth of myself and of the world and reminisce about little girls in new dresses.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Easter! Easter baskets with Easter goodies make me smile. Bowties are cute for this special occasion.
bow ties