Friday, March 19, 2010

My Little Girl

“All good things must come to an end.” I hate that adage. I wonder who made that one up. Probably an old party-pooper! Today is the last day of Daughter #1’s visit. Very early tomorrow morning we put her on an airplane back to the BIG CITY, back to the life she has there. I am sad she is leaving, I will miss her very much, but I am happy for her and proud of the woman she has become.

I hope she enjoyed herself this week. I recall from my own experience as a twenty-something, how difficult it was to return to my parents’ home as an adult when they still saw me as their “little girl.” I like to think I learned from that experience and didn’t repeat it with my own “little girl,” but I see now what a difficult task it is to realize your children are grown up and independent.

I have one last day to enjoy my daughter’s visit. Tomorrow I will accept the fact that she is a grown-up woman. Just for today she is still my little girl.

No comments: