Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I've Got to Clean My Garden

I have been focusing so much on cleaning/purging my house I have neglected my yard, specifically, I have neglected my vegetable garden. Last year, as a romantic gesture for our 29th wedding anniversary, my husband built me an 8’ x 2.5’ raised bed garden planter in a sectioned off portion of our backyard. This section also has large containers for growing tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs. This year I plan to add another raised bed and to plant some in-ground crops. But, (any guesses on what this “but” is going to be?) I need to clean my garden.

The garden area was fenced off from the main yard for twenty years and it became a catch-all for things we didn’t have a place for and a graveyard for things that should have gone to the trash – like broken lawnmowers and propane grills. Add to this a profusion of vinca minor and there was quite a mess. Last year when we installed the first raised bed we did a massive clean up. This year I plan to do an even bigger clean up. I have visions of eradicating the vinca and reclaiming some prime vegetable growing space.

Part of my day job involves a five-acre vegetable farm, another part of my job involves networking with other vegetable growers. Today I had a wonderful afternoon of visiting farms, gardens and potential garden sites and talking to some really nice people about growing things. Two of my dear friends and fellow gardeners accompanied me. Curious, but I have never met a mean gardener; have you?

I was inspired today to get back to my own garden and get it ready to plant, even though it was 26 degrees on Saturday – I’ve got the gardening bug. A sure sign of spring.

No comments: