Saturday, April 25, 2009

Hall Closet - Day One

Today I summoned the nerve to begin the hall closet purge. This is the "stuff" just on the floor of the closet:

  • Vacuum cleaner - KEEP
  • Vacuum cleaner bags – KEEP
  • A purple and pink plastic tote box full of scrapbook supplies – KEEP
  • A teal and green plastic tote box full of stamping supplies – KEEP
  • A navy blue suitcase/roller bag (carry-on size) with an incomplete scrapbook project in it – KEEP (and hopefully finish one day when I get my house cleaned and can enjoy craft projects)
  • A plastic wrapping paper storage/organizer system that is so full I can’t get the lid on it – KEEP
  • A step stool – KEEP (I am going to need this when I get to the top shelves)
  • The bunny ears to Muffy’s bunny costume that I found two days ago – KEEP – put in Daughter #2’s closet with the rest of the Muffy Vanderbear stuff
  • An empty bottle of silver metallic paint - TRASH
  • A Hefty-bag full of “soft” Christmas decorations (throw pillows, tree skirt, fabric wall hanging, etc) – KEEP – try to store it on the top shelf with the other holiday decorations
  • A really great storage box designed to hold a portable c.d. player and c.d.s, belonged to Daughter #2 - GARAGE SALE
  • A set of 3 nesting hat boxes – USE – surely with all of the stuff I have I can find a use for these
  • A portable sewing machine – KEEP – my daddy bought this for me when I was in Junior High School – it still comes in handy for small repair projects
  • Leftover fabric from bathroom curtains and shower curtain – KEEP – I may want to make something else for the bathroom (a toilet tank cover perhaps – please know I am just kidding!)
  • A pretty piece of Indian cotton fabric I bought at a garage sale and thought I would do something with – KEEP (it is really pretty)
  • Navy blue star fabric with white stars – GARAGE SALE
  • 14 boxes taped closed with bold black marker proclaiming DO NOT UNPACK – these boxes contain china, crystal, a milk glass punchbowl and cups, and various and sundry items which once belonged to my mother and to my mother-in-law – KEEP (my daughters can deal with these after I am gone)
  • A stand holding a set of wooden TV trays – KEEP
  • A very small suitcase containing really great fabric remnants I bought at a Garage Sale – KEEP – I swear I am going to do something with them someday
  • A bag containing a half finished crochet scarf – KEEP – I swear I am going to finish it someday
  • A tool kit – KEEP – It is mine, I put it together so I wouldn’t think about divorcing my husband when I couldn’t find his tools
  • A very large sack containing very large Christmas ornaments I use to decorate outside – KEEP
  • A box fan – KEEP
  • A rectangular-shaped board of flat corrugated material with an improved edge structure - Document Type and Number: United States Patent 3859161 – Pretty sad when I don’t even know what to call this item and I had to look it up by its patent number. This is one of those folding cardboard things you can cut out sewing patterns on – KEEP (this is great to put on the bed or on the floor to wrap Christmas presents on)
  • A Joske’s Department Store box (I think a wedding gift came in 30 years ago) containing an assortment of nails, picture hanging supplies, kite string, wallpaper glue, magnets, etc. – KEEP – I’ve had it for 30 years, if I get rid of it now I’m sure to need something
  • A violin – yes, a violin – DONATE – if it is okay with Daughter #2, I’d like to donate it a school for a child who can’t afford a musical instrument
  • 2 never used, still folded packing boxes – KEEP
  • A large shopping bag full of more large shopping bags – KEEP – I always need/use a large shopping bag
  • A large Zip-lock bag containing crochet and knitting needles and a knitting project that looks like a beginner’s piece – KEEP until they look at it and tell me I can throw away
  • A wooden Dr. Pepper Bottling Co. crate from the 1970s – this was in my first dorm room – KEEP – I don’t know why?
  • A bunch of shiny adhesive stars all over the floor – a box must have spilled – TRASH – they have all been sucked up by the vacuum cleaner

Wow, that was a lot of “stuff”. I realize I kept most of it but it is no longer piled precariously, waiting to topple on me when I open the door. Next blog I will move up to one of the shelves. Sometimes the excitement in my life amazes me.

1 comment:

Yasirali said...

When you have to move to another location, one of the first things you do is to gather as many cheap boxes as you can. There are many places to get the free or cheap moving boxes. One of the first places to find them is the place you are employed.

http://www.boxyourstuff.com/