Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Orange You Glad You Don't Live Here?

A new project was in order for my cleaning/purging. I am still putting off the hall closet and the garage, so I opted for something semi-challenging – my bathroom. The master bathroom in my house has always been my least favorite room and as a consequence I have not done much in the way of updating it in the 20-plus years we have lived here. When we bought this house we agreed that the room needed to be gutted, we just haven’t gotten around to it yet. One of the last home improvement projects I undertook before I began working full time (seven and a half years ago) was painting the master bathroom. This was when a paint treatment called glazing was all the rage. I had a vision of turning my bland and boring white bathroom walls and ceiling into something resembling a warm Tuscan sunset. What I ended up with looks like the inside of a cantaloupe. Every time I step into my bathroom, which could be upwards of 20 times a day, I am reminded of the story of Cinderella when her fairy godmother turns a pumpkin into a coach to take Cinderella to the ball. This room really needs a new paint job. I would welcome the former bland and boring white with open arms.

This blog is not about redecorating or remodeling my house. It is about purging my home of 20 years worth of crap, so I won’t blog about a painting project (unless I get really desperate for something to blog about). But I will blog about ridding the bathroom of all of the unnecessary “stuff” so I can get it ready to paint. I have many cabinets and drawers full of “stuff” and I plan to begin cleaning them tomorrow. I have had more than enough cantaloupe and pumpkin for one day.

No comments: