Thursday, April 2, 2009

The British are Coming, The British are Coming

I cleaned out the kitchen cabinet containing my pots and pans tonight. Other than my nice Calphalon pan I own mostly Revere Ware stainless steel pots and pans, the ones with the copper bottoms. We received a complete set of these pots and pans from my parents when we were married. My mother had always used Revere Ware, so she was insistent that I would use them, too. I had grown up using them and felt right at home with them in the kitchen of our first home during our newlywed years. Coincidentally, my husband’s mother used them also and he inherited hers after her death and had been using them in his bachelor apartment. So, Revere Ware was a family tradition for both of us. Now that my daughters have their own kitchens I hope they will use Revere Ware as well. Daughter #1’s bridal registry included fancy French copper pots and I gave her some of those for Christmas and birthday, but I hope she will add a few Revere Ware copper bottoms to go with their fancy French cousins. Daughter #2’s kitchen is a little more hodge-podge. Her inexpensive college apartment cookware has been supplemented with Revere Ware garage sale finds. I am happy to say my daughters are carrying on the family cookware tradition – their grandmothers would be proud.

1 comment:

Diversified said...

What a great family tradition! I got the Revere Ware bug from my mom and have a pretty complete set now of the good vintage stuff from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I became frustrated with the lack of replacement parts for this vintage Revere Ware so I went out and had some made. You can find it at http://www.reverewareparts.com.