Monday, February 2, 2009

Roll-top Desk Drawer 2-2-09

I had big plans to clean out one of the heinous "black hole" kitchen cabinets, but I was exiled to my bedroom by daughter #2 when she wanted to watch t.v. in the den adjacent to the kitchen. I have an antique roll-top desk, that once belonged to my great-aunt, in my room. It serves as a catch-all for books, magazines, letters, hand cream, a Kleenex box; and that is just the surface. I decided to clean out the desk lap drawer. It is a very thin drawer, not much space, but it holds a lot! Here's proof:


  • 11 matchbooks - TRASHED

  • a receipt from Dillard's Department Store dated 12-18-07 in the amount of $199.72 for cosmetics - TRASHED

  • a 2007 Christmas list detailing what I bought for my daughters and son-in-law -TRASHED

  • a bank envelope holding 9 expired credit cards, a Southwest Airlines companion pass that expired in 2007, and 2 expired gym cards - CUT UP AND TRASHED

  • 3 old drivers' licenses - 2 of mine that expired in 1989 and 1987 and one belonging to my husband that expired in 1988 - KEPT (what can I say? I'm sentimental)

  • a Chili's Restaurant Frequent Diner Card - TRASHED

  • 4 Post-it Note pads - KEPT

  • 2 packages of spare lead for mechanical pencils - KEPT

  • 1 package of mechanical pencil eraser refills - KEPT

  • a pair of sewing scissors - KEPT

  • a box of thumb tacks (100 count) - KEPT

  • 2 glue sticks - KEPT

  • a kindergarten school photo of daughter #2 - OF COURSE I KEPT

  • a Jamaican one dollar piece - KEPT on the outside chance I might go to Jamaica

  • a box of staples - KEPT

  • a mini stapler- KEPT

  • a tape measure key chain - KEPT

  • a single hole punch - KEPT

  • 4 scratch pads - KEPT

  • 1 fingernail file - KEPT

  • spiral bound 3x5 index cards- KEPT

  • a Ziploc bag with a hinge, a screw, and a nail - I KEPT because I think they go with the desk

  • a box of white permanent self-adhesive reinforcement labels - KEPT

  • a bag of 25 self adhesive Index Tabs- KEPT

  • 3 rulers - one 12-inch metal, two 6-inch plastic - KEPT 2, TRASHED one of the 6-inch

  • an over sized laundry safety pin that I once used for a key chain - KEPT

  • 2 business cards - TRASHED 1, KEPT 1 (it was daughter #1's first post-college job)

  • a flashlight that doesn't work - TRASHED

  • A "Presto!" pocket correction pen - KEPT

  • 3 bookmarks - KEPT

  • a deck of cards - RELOCATED to toy closet

  • a calculator that doesn't work - TRASHED

  • a staple remover - KEPT

  • a lamp finial - KEPT

  • 3 tiny Ziploc bags with extra buttons - RELOCATED to sewing box

  • a pair of cheater glasses - KEPT

  • 6 Highlighters - 2 yellow, 1 orange, 1 green, 1 turquoise, 1 pink - KEPT

  • 4 Sharpie pens - 1 turquoise, 1 light blue, 1 dark blue, 1 hot pink - KEPT

  • 15 pencils - KEPT 12, TRASHED 3

  • 2 eraser sticks - KEPT

  • 53 (yes, 53!) writing pens - KEPT 37, TRASHED 16

Remember, I said this was a small drawer. I think it was a clown car in a previous life

No comments: