Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day My Dear Tupperware

Have you ever dreaded a project and put it off because you knew it would be awful and then once you did it you thought to yourself, "I can't believe how easy that was"? Well that did NOT happen to me today! Today I finally cleaned out the dreaded Tupperware cabinet. It took 4 hours and I think I have a black-eye (a stack of heavy platters fell on my head while I was crawling inside the cabinet). It was a NOT FUN project. Now I know why I haven't done it before. This is what was in the Tupperware cabinet:


  • 10 travel coffee mugs with lids – KEEP some, DONATE some - I don't need 10 travel coffee mugs, but I want to make sure I keep the very best ones, so I may have to road test a few before I make the decision on which ones to keep

  • 13 metal Christmas tins – KEEP 8 - I have moved these 8 to a closet containing Christmas stuff (Now that I know where they are I might actually make Christmas cookies this year), DONATE 5

  • A Nordic Ware Supremer Ice Creamer – DONATE

  • A Mini-Mate Igloo Cooler – DONATE (it is much too small for anything!)

  • 2 Igloo 2-quart beverage containers – KEEP (great for large batches of wine coolers on a hot summer day)

  • 1 Rubbermaid 3-quart beverage container – KEEP (great for even larger batches of wine coolers on a hot summer day)

  • 4 metal trays (Christmas motif) – KEEP (put up with Christmas tins)

  • Large Oneida Melamine tray with a watermelon print – KEEP (I am going to try to use this under my laptop when I am using my laptop on my lap. It gets warm, you know, and the tray is just the right size.)

  • A package of Vis-à-vis Markers 8 colors – KEEP (move to desk)

  • A large oval ceramic tray with a turkey painted in the middle – DONATE (I know I will never use this – it is too flat/shallow to hold a turkey)

  • 3 round Currier & Ives platters – KEEP

  • A Christmas-themed ceramic plate – DONATE

  • A clear glass platter with a Christmas tree etched in the middle – DONATE

  • A brown platter that went with a set of dishes I owned in the 70’s – DONATE

  • Large chartreuse round Brusche platter that belonged to my mother and matches bowl from blog dated 2/9/09 - KEEP

  • An oblong Ironstone platter from England – KEEP (this one is deep enough to hold a turkey)

  • A huge white heavy plastic tray – KEEP – this has come in handy on lots of occasions

  • A Farberware stainless steel “Hostess Tray” – KEEP – I received this for a wedding present and use it all the time

  • A round enameled tin spatter ware tray – KEEP – I use this all the time

  • A metal tray with a black plastic holder – KEEP – great for bringing steaks in from the grill

  • 5 random metal trays: circa 1950’s toll painted tray – KEEP, pewter tray – DONATE, souvenir tray from the New York World’s Fair 1964-1965 – KEEP, tray with cute pictures of Metropolitan cars on it – KEEP (my husband has two Metropolitans), circa 1950’s drink tray with recipes for Tom Collins and Stinger on it – KEEP (too cute)

  • 7 plastic party trays – TRASH

  • A plastic cookie tin – TRASH

  • 4 plastic ice cube trays – TRASH (they have seen better days)

  • A woven rattan place mat - TRASH

  • An aluminum roaster pan – TRASH

  • A Glad Casserole dish with 2 plastic lids – TRASH

  • 2 aluminum pizza pans – KEEP – good for making fruit pizzas for daughter #2

  • A small silver tray – KEEP

  • A tortilla warmer – KEEP

  • A very large Excalibur Food Dehydrator – KEEP (I use this for weeks on end to dehydrate apples in the fall)

  • 3 dehydrator cookbooks – KEEP

  • 3 large insulated beverage mugs – KEEP 1, TRASH 2

  • A bamboo steamer – DONATE (this makes me sad, it was the first item I ever ordered from an infomercial)

  • A turquoise straw bread basket – DONATE

  • 2 Brita Pitchers – KEEP

  • 2 Rubbermaid 2 ¼ -quart pitchers – KEEP

  • 1 Rubbermaid one gallon pitcher – KEEP

  • 1 one gallon sun tea jar – TRASH

  • A Tupperware ham container – DONATE (I don’t ever anticipate having this much ham in my house – ever)

  • A Tupperware bread container – KEEP (When I figure out if the bread machine from blog dated 1/26/09 works I can keep my home-made bread in here)

  • A Tupperware container I think was purchased to hold the contents of a box of cereal – DONATE (why would I want to take the cereal out its original box?)

  • A 2-quart Rubbermaid liquid container – KEEP (this is great for home-made salsa)

  • A 2-quart container for liquid – TRASH (I’ve never seen this in my life!)

  • A plastic margarine container – TRASH

  • A 3x5 index card box – KEEP (move to office)

  • 6 small scratch pads – KEEP (move to office)

  • A microwave omelet pan – KEEP (I have never used this, but might, one day, maybe)

  • A microwave egg poacher – KEEP (I have used this once, and might again, one day, maybe)

  • 4 orange plastic bowls – TRASH

  • The ice cube holder that came with my refrigerator/freezer - TRASH (it is too small)

  • A Tupperware celery/carrot/other vegetable container – KEEP

  • An Electric Skillet – KEEP

  • A Tupperware deviled egg container – KEEP

  • 2 Tupperware “Shake and Pour” containers – KEEP (these are great for salad dressing)

  • 3 colanders, various sizes – KEEP

  • Tupperware “That’s a Bowl” 32 ounce with lid – KEEP

  • Tupperware 1-quart pitcher – KEEP

  • Plunger to broken Bodum teapot from blog dated 2/9/09 - TRASH

  • 4 three-compartment divided containers with lids – DONATE

  • 2-cup Tupperware container – DONATE

  • 3-piece nested Tupperware canister set – KEEP

  • Tupperware iceberg lettuce keeper – KEEP

  • Tupperware microwave steamer – KEEP

  • Tupperware marinade container – KEEP

  • 3 Tupperware soup bowls with lids that double as plates – DONATE

  • 3-piece storage bowl set with lids – KEEP

  • 3 two-cup bowls with lids – KEEP

  • 6 random Tupperware bowls with lids – DONATE

  • 2 very large generic plastic bowls with lids – DONATE

  • 2 rectangular Tupperware containers with lid - KEEP

  • 7 small Rubbermaid containers with lids – DONATE

  • 21 Glad storage containers in various sizes with lids – KEEP

  • 3 plastic 2-cup freezer containers with lids – KEEP

  • 2 Tupperware bowls without lids – KEEP 1, DONATE 1

  • A plastic milk crate originally used to store lids to Tupperware bowls – KEEP (now I am going to use it to store Glad bowls and lids)

  • 2 Wilton candy molds – DONATE

  • The handle and tray from a Tupperware cake carrier – TRASH (what good is it without the cake carrier?)

  • 2 Kleen Kanteen water bottles – KEEP

  • 1 plastic water bottle - DONATE

  • 2 small stainless steel prep bowls – KEEP

  • 2 bread baskets – one silver, one gold mesh – KEEP

  • Tupperware lunch box with 3 containers inside for sandwich, salad, and fruit – KEEP on the outside chance I might one day take my lunch to work

  • Generic plastic 4-cup container with lid – DONATE

  • 11 random generic plastic lids – TRASH

  • 11 random Tupperware lids - DONATE

  • 7 Tupperware “Midgets” with lids - KEEP

  • 4 silver plate chargers - KEEP

This is over 200 items. Most of this "stuff" I don't need. One Hefty bag to the trash, four Hefty bags to charity, one cabinet that is no longer a nightmare.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Wow. I wonder what the going rate for Tupperware cabinet cleaning is these days? Surely more than $10. I hope you drank enough wine to feel well-compensated! Also, I must certainly have your disease, because each time I see "TRASH" or "DONATE" I sort of wince. I am proud, though, and can't wait to see the cabinet and also find out how the bread turned out!