Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th (cue horror movie organ music)

Has anyone noticed that 4 out of the last 5 blogs don't actually involve any real cleaning/purging of "stuff"? I am showing my true colors - I am blogging about cleaning without actually doing any cleaning. Awesome. Today will be no different. Today is the lead-in to the TUPPERWARE CABINET. (In case you can't hear the sound effects in my head - there was creepy horror movie organ music playing during that last sentence.) I figure it will take at least a day to mentally prepare myself to tackle (cue organ) the TUPPERWARE CABINET.

It will help to understand the enormity of this task if you first understand the enormity of the cabinet. I have a 4'x6' breakfast bar in my kitchen. The TUPPERWARE CABINET is everything underneath the bar. Imagine a garage for a VW Bug and you are close. Had this house been in existence in 1942 and located in Amsterdam the cabinet could have housed the Frank family.

The TUPPERWARE CABINET has been a storage nightmare everyday of the 25+ years we have lived here. I can count on one hand the number of times it has been clean.
  1. the day we moved in
  2. once, when I paid daughter # 1 to clean it when she was about ten or twelve years old
  3. once, when I paid daughter #2 to clean it when she was about ten or twelve years old
  4. nope - that's all, just three times.
The routine for removing something from the TUPPERWARE CABINET (and don't let the name fool you - there's lots of stuff in there besides Tupperware) is: Open cabinet door, announce loudly, "Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this cabinet," get on knees, stick head (and sometimes entire upper body - not a pretty sight for anyone else in the kitchen!) into cabinet, begin pulling out bowls, lids, random storage containers, platters and small appliances until you find what you need.

The routine for putting something back into the TUPPERWARE CABINET is: Open cabinet door, announce loudly, "Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this cabinet," throw item into cabinet, and (this is crucial) slam the door quickly before anything can fall out.

I plan to spend today in prayer and meditation (perhaps I'll have a few glasses of wine). Tomorrow I begin (cue organ) the TUPPERWARE CABINET purge.

No comments: