Sunday, June 28, 2009

More Closets

Today I didn't open the hall closet. I know that is my current project and I should be diligently cleaning, but I was otherwise occupied - cleaning closets. Today I had the brilliant idea to move my winter clothes out of my bedroom closet into the spare bedroom closet and to take my summer clothes out of the spare bedroom closet and put them into my bedroom closet. If that weren't confusing enough I also decided to clean out another closet that had some of my clothes in it. This wasn't just a matter of transferring clothes from one closet to another, I had to try on most everything and determine if I still wanted it or not. I ended up filling two large boxes to overflowing with clothes for the garage sale. Purge, purge, purge.

This cleaning business is getting out of hand. Some of the clothes I parted with today I have had for years. Sentimental reasons made it impossible to part with some items.
  • I couldn't get rid of the matching dresses my daughter's wore to my mother's funeral.
  • I couldn't get rid of the flower girl dress Daughter #1 wore in my sister's wedding.
  • I couldn't get rid of the flower girl dress Daughter #2 wore in my brother's wedding.
  • I couldn't get rid of the Li'l Abner costume Daughter #1 wore for her junior high school play.
  • I couldn't get rid of theblack linen skirt that belonged to my mother.

Until today!

Then there were the things I tossed that I have held on to for years because I thought I might one day be able to fit into them again. I tried them all on and some I could actually fit in to, but they were horribly out of style - like the navy linen jacket that has huge shoulder pads.

It is amazing how much room I have in my clothes closets now. And, no - I am not going to go out and buy more clothes just to fill the space. I am going to enjoy being able to find things. I am going to enjoy knowing that everything in my closets fit me. I am going to enjoy not having to re-iron things because they were smashed into the closet with everything else.

I am beginning to like this cleaning/purging thing - I just hope I don't get too carried away!

No comments: