Saturday, June 27, 2009

Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Peter

Are you well versed in Peter Rabbit? It was a necessity when my children were small. We knew about Farmer McGregor's garden, about Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Peter, and about Hunca Munca and her husband, Tom Thumb. We made countless batches of Squirrel Nutkins's banana nut bread (none better), and ironed our clothes thinking about Mrs. Tiggly-Winkle, who was always ironing something. We made friends with Mr. Tod and Pigling Bland and the Fierce Bad Rabbit and Apply Dapply, and Miss Moppet, and Cecily Parsley. The world of Beatrix Potter was a wonderful, magical world for my children and for me. I am reminded of this today as I make another foray into the hall closet. The books will be moved from their former home in the hall closet to their new home in the children's toy closet - waiting a new generation

No comments: