Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Woman's Work is Never Done

Years ago I read an article about work. The theme was how important it is to take pride in one’s work. To take pride in a job well done was cited as the most crucial aspect of job satisfaction. The article ended by saying a woman’s work is never done, therefore, how does she feel pride or satisfaction in her work? I was a stay-at-home mom at that time and the article really struck a chord with me. I knew exactly what the author of that piece was referring to; I was living it. With two young children at home – the laundry was never done, even if I spent all day washing, there was always one more load. The house was never clean, even if I spent all day cleaning, there were always more toys to put away or little fingerprints to be washed off of something. At that time I naively reminded myself that one day the children would be grown and gone and I would have a clean house – so I enjoyed the kids, ignored the mess, and took pride in being a mother, not in being a “housewife.”

Now, that once far off day of no children at home is here and I am left wondering where is the clean house of the future I imagined? There is still another load of laundry, still another sink full of dishes, and the small fingerprints have been replaced with dogs’ nose prints and dog hair. Alas, a woman’s work is truly never done. I take no pride in that.

No comments: