Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Faithful

Spring is the time of year that brings out the faithful. I am not talking about the lapsed Christians who return to church on Easter Sunday. I am referring to gardeners; those optimistic souls who put their faith in a tiny seed. They spend hours and dollars preparing their garden beds and purchasing seeds and bedding plants. I know this first hand - I am one of the faithful. Two weeks ago I planted green bean seeds and cucumber seeds in my backyard garden. I “cast my shadow” (to quote Farmer Roy, my garden mentor) every morning eagerly eyeing the planted bed for signs of life. The thrill upon seeing the tiny bit of green breaking through the crusty soil is enough to make anyone a believer. From the first sighting of green, things progress quickly – big leaves have unfurled from my green bean seeds and my cucumbers have multiple leaves. Soon they will flower and product fruit; all because of a little seed and a little faith.

1 comment:

Gene Jeansonne said...

yes! well written! "Faith the size of a mustard seed." I like it.