Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thoughts on the Kitchen

My kitchen, my mother’s kitchen, Big Red’s kitchen, Gail’s kitchen, Susan’s kitchen, Carol’s kitchen, Debra’s kitchen, Carol Ann’s kitchen – all of the kitchens I have known (Aunt Margie’s kitchen, MaMa’s kitchen) are places where we congregate – no matter what. Even if the dens or the living rooms are well appointed – soft, cushy chairs and sofas; we still opt for the kitchen – even if we have to stand up or sit on less-than-comfortable chairs. What is it about a kitchen? Kitchens are the center of the home, the warmest place – the heart of the house. The kitchen is a place that evokes memories of other homes. I felt happy, loved, warm and safe in my mother’s kitchen and in my grandmothers’ kitchens ergo, I feel save in just about any kitchen I’ve ever been in.

My kitchen is adjacent to my family room with a breakfast bar looking into the kitchen. Whenever we have friends or family over they congregate in the kitchen. Three people can sit at the bar, but it isn’t out of the ordinary to have seven or eight or sometimes more standing in the kitchen – leaning against the countertop. On Christmas, or any time I have a big family dinner, it is difficult to get the food out because there is so much traffic in the kitchen. But it is great fun and a great complement; I love that people are so comfortable in my kitchen. It makes me happy to think that my friends and family feel happy, loved, warm and safe in my kitchen. So bring on the crowds – I will gladly scoot between my uncles while carrying a hot casserole or ask my daughter’s father-in-law to move over so I can grab more forks from the silverware drawer. It is all part of the “hostess dance” in my kitchen.

No comments: