Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hurricane (Katrina) 1-28-09

Now that the top of my refrigerator is clean (see blog dated 1/26/09) I discovered cabinets I forgot were over the top of the fridge. So, house cleaning/purging opportunity for today: clean out forgotten cabinets.



Before I go any further with this entry perhaps I should give a disclaimer for this or any subsequent, or past, Wednesday entries. Wednesday is the day of my weekly family dinner at the home of Big Red, my almost (1 month from today) 102 year old grandmother. We call our weekly dinner Wednesday Winers, because we mostly drink wine, eating dinner is secondary. Just thought you should know.



So, the cabinet over the fridge has been hidden from view for God only knows how long. I opened the doors and discovered:


  • A Tab glass - remember those? Hour glass shaped with TaB written in yellow lettering? I am SO keeping that!

  • A University of Utah beer mug. The only person in my family to ever attend U of U is daughter #1. She attended one summer for debate camp when she was all of 15 or 16 years old - hmmmm? Better check with her before getting rid of the mug.

  • An airpot thermos. I will probably keep, in spite of previous bad experience with an air pot thermos at a Texas Tech University homecoming football game in the late 70's. Who knows when I might need this and I certainly have an out-of-the-way storage place now.

  • 4 wicker baskets that went with chili bowls I no longer own. Trash!

  • 3 tumblers and 3 on-the-rocks glasses in a teal blue speckle pattern with chicken motif from the 80's when country was all the rage. Why, oh, why did I save these? Why, oh, why did I purchase them in the first place? Trash!

  • 4 Pat O'Brien's hurricane glasses - souvenirs of trips to New Orleans. Apparently it took two trips to realize I didn't need to bring home the souvenir glasses. I do have wonderful memories of our annual trips to New Orleans for my husband's birthdays. Sadly, we have not been back since Katrina - which makes tossing the hurricane glasses bittersweet and somewhat ironic.

  • And the final thing in the cabinet is the box the air pot thermos or "Pump Pot" came in. Target price $9.99. I wonder what it would cost today.

So the upside to this is I now have additional storage space for more stuff. Should the bread machine work (see blog dated (1/26/09), it may have found a home.

No comments: