Sunday, November 21, 2010

I'm Back (Again)

I haven’t blogged in weeks. It is amazing how quickly I can get out of a habit. Truth be told, my blog has all but disappeared from my mental radar. I hate that! I enjoy writing this blog and it serves several purposes.

First, it is like an appointment with a therapist. This is my place to vent, to blow off steam, or work out a problem. If I’m bothered by the stupidity of the world (or a co-worker, or the man in front of me with a cart full of groceries in the ten items or less line) thirty minutes with pen and paper helps me release my desire to move to a deserted island or to eat and island size dessert. Considering most psychologists charge over $100 an hour, I’ve saved a considerable amount of money by blogging.

Another reason I blog is for the practice and discipline that comes with it. Knowing that I must (should) keep my blog (somewhat) current forces me to sit down to write on a (somewhat) regular schedule. In my “second half” (that is what those of us over fifty call our life) I’ve discovered a passion for writing. A blog is a good outlet for that passion. It is immediate gratification unlike that unfinished novel or the journal pages no one but me will ever read.

Perhaps the real reason I blog is because it is self-indulgent. I spend the majority of my life taking care of others – the youth I work with in my job, my 103 year old grandmother, my children, and my husband. Writing this blog is a few moments a week when I can pretend that my thoughts and/or the events of my mundane life are important to someone outside of my front door.

In spite of posting my last real blog well over a month ago, this blog is important to me and I will continue to indulge myself by writing it. God knows I need the writing practice and I can’t afford a therapist. I’m back (again)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My blog exists for the exact same reasons. :)

Eminia said...

Great...Lap band surgery

Eminia said...

I just waiting for your next blog from so long..Closed Loop Recycling