Saturday, May 29, 2010

It's in the Air

At our small lake community the atmosphere is different from “in town.” The very air is changed; it doesn’t feel charged with too much activity and too much indifference. So, I really shouldn’t have been surprised when a total stranger approached my next door neighbor and me, as we were enjoying a glass of wine on the back porch last evening, to ask my neighbor, “Are you the lady who made the potato salad for X and X’s bar-b-que last week?”

It turned out she was indeed the potato salad maker, and it was the best potato salad the stranger had ever eaten, and it just so happens he’s having a bar-b-que this weekend, and if she’d write down all the ingredients he’ll bring ‘em by in the morning, and now she’s making the potato salad for the stranger’s bar-b-que.

That’s how things happen here. I really should not have been surprised. I think it is something about the air.

1 comment:

Gene Jeansonne said...

The air, the Bar B Q, and the potato salad are all better out of town.