Saturday, October 10, 2009

Soup

Remember the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld? If I were the "Soup Nazi" I could/might/would have the power to deny you the most awesome soup ever. Remember my blog from yesterday when I mentioned making soup from the other half of THE Squash? Well, I made the soup and it must go down in the annals (make sure it has two "n"s says my husband when I asked him how to spell it) of history! I just made the best soup in the world!

Maybe it has something to do with using fresh, locally grown ingredients? Maybe it has something to do with drinking an entire bottle of wine while preparing it? Who cares - the soup was awesome! You must make it. Either right now, or tomorrow (after you have had time to gather the ingredients). Even if you cannot get local ingredients, make this soup as soon as possible. You will thank me!

Recipe Recap:
Mexican Bean and Squash Soup
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (my squash was from a local farmer. Try to buy local, or grow your own. Check out farmers' markets for butternut squash - if all else fails buy an organic butternut squash at the grocery store.)
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (mine was from the farm where I work)
1/4 cup finely chopped celery (I'm not a huge fan of celery, so I doubled the carrots)
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots (I used 2 large carrots from my farm and sliced them on the diagonal)
3 cloves garlic minced (I used 5-6 cloves, and they were from my farm, also)
2 canned chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced (I always freeze these when I open a can, because you only use one or two at a time. I only had one, so I used it, seeds and all.)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves (probably the last basil from my backyard)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (I used fresh cilantro instead)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used about 9 fresh Roma tomatoes, probably the last of the farm harvest, peeled and diced)
2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth (I used organic vegetable broth, optimistically thinking there might be leftovers to share with my vegetarian daughter. I doubt there will be any leftovers.)
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
1 cup corn kernels (I cut the kernels off corn from the farm I froze a few months ago)
2 limes, cut into wedges (after squeezing the lime, put the rind in your bowl)
Tortilla chips for topping
1 cup sour cream, for topping (I used about a teaspoon of light sour cream in each bowl)
1 (8 -ounce) package shredded Mexican blend cheese, for topping (I used Colby-jack)
I also added diced avocado to each bowl
Directions:
Heat the olive oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the squash, and cook until it begins to soften, 5-7 minutes. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chipolte peppers, basil, parsley, and cumin; cook 2 minutes more. Mix in the tomatoes and chicken or vegetable broth. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the cannellini beans and the corn; cook until just heated through. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Squeeze lime juice over each bowl (A MUST), and top with tortilla chips, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkling of Mexican cheese.

Regardless of the wine consumed while making this, I am going on record as saying this is the best soup I have ever made or eaten! Getcha some!

No comments: