Sunday, July 12, 2009

I Think I Have An Illness!

I think I have hit upon the reason I am having such a hard time with my cleaning blog. I have decided I have Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. Yep, I'm sure I have it. Nope, I have not been officially diagnosed by a doctor.

You decide. This is how spent my day.
  • Got up. Made coffee. Ran sink full of hot soapy dishwater to wash dishes from last night's dinner. Started dryer to "re-heat" clothes so I could fold them without wrinkles.
  • Went to bedroom to dress while coffee was making. Began making bed. Gathered up clothes I wore yesterday, along with other laundry and carried to utility room. Coffee was ready. Poured cup of coffee and went out to get newspaper. Plucked dead leaves off of plants on front porch and decided to water. Watered plants on front porch and decided I should water garden in back yard.
  • Went to back yard and remembered I had fertilizer I needed to put on garden before I could water. Went back into house to get gloves. Washed dishes in lukewarm water. Re-started dryer to warm up clothes. Looked for gardening gloves, but they weren't where I thought they were. Found garden diary which hadn't been written in since I put garden in in late April. Attempted to catch up garden diary.
  • Dryer buzzed while I was reminiscing about garden activities. Folded load of clothes. Took them to bedroom to put away. Decided husband's clothes chest was too cluttered. Pulled everything out of clothes chest onto floor. Began sorting into piles of tee-shirts, shorts, sweat pants and shirts, etc. Took pile of wrinkled tee-shirts to utility room to wash. Remembered I was trying to fertilize garden.
  • Went outside to fertilize garden without gardening gloves. Fertilized garden. Began watering garden. Decided I should transplant one of my plants. Looked for potting soil I know I have somewhere, but couldn't find it. Came inside to get another cup of coffee. Decided to make grocery list. Remembered all of the produce I brought home from farmers' market. Got out produce and washed it. Decided to cook squash, black-eyed peas, and green beans. Got everything in pots simmering on stove.
  • Dogs needed to go out. Took dogs out for potty break and realized I hadn't finished watering backyard plants. Finished watering in backyard. Came back inside. Put clothes in dryer. Went to bedroom to get another load of clothes to wash. Finished making bed.
  • Realized how dusty office furniture was as I walked down hall with next load of laundry. Put laundry in washer, grabbed can of Pledge and dust cloth. Set Pledge and dust cloth on desk in office and proceeded to clean off desktop so I could dust. Opened hall closet to stash some of the stuff from my desk and remembered I was supposed to be cleaning out the closet. Stood in closet, looked around for about 5 minutes, thought - hell no, not today! Went back into office. Moved everything from desk onto guest bed in office. Dusted desk.
  • Remembered I had things cooking in the kitchen. Wanted to make an Italian casserole with cooked squash. Didn't have needed ingredients. Finished grocery list. Decided to take recycling to recycling center at grocery store. Gathered up all recycling materials and loaded into car. Left for store. Decided to visit grandmother while I was out. Spent about an hour and a half at grandmother's. Dropped off recycling. Realized I forgot my reusable grocery store bags. Did grocery shopping. Came home. Unloaded groceries from car. Finished Italian squash casserole while unpacking grocery sacks.
  • Put away paper grocery sacks in Utility room. Re-started dryer to "reheat" next load of clothes. Saw bottle of Windex and decided to clean mirror and windows in office. Saw pile of stuff from desk I had moved to guest bed and began going through everything. Got caught up reading papers from desk. Remembered I needed to be cleaning house so piled all of the papers back on the desk. Oops, need to dust desk. Dusted desk while balancing large pile of papers in one hand.
  • Decided to vacuum. Vacuum not working well. Looked for new vacuum bags. Gave up. Vacuumed with less than perfect results. Realized how many dishes I dirtied while cooking up all of my farmers' market veggies. Ran sink full of hot soapy dishwater. Dryer buzzed. Went to bedroom to get clothes hangers. Saw mess of husbands clothes still sitting on floor. Put piles of clothes on bed for him to look at/try on/purge later.
  • By this time it is almost 7:00 p.m. I looked around at the mess I had created in my bedroom, my office, and the kitchen and decided it was time for a glass of wine. Sat down at computer to write blog and came upon the brilliant idea of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder.

1 comment:

Melinda Green Harvey said...

I can concur with your diagnosis, if - IF! - you took more than 5 tries to get the blog entry written. (That's according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Or I just made it up. You can decide.)