Monday, June 11, 2012

I am a Writer

I am a writer. There, I said it. It is official. I’ve even changed my Facebook job status from retired to writer so it must be true. I am a writer. I write. It is what writers do. We write. I write.

Why is saying, “I am a writer” such a difficult thing to do? Is it because my fifth grade teacher made me feel like a loser? Is it because I think it sounds pompous? Is it because of the wee small voice in my head that says ever so snarkily – “Yeah, right.” Is it because I make up words like snarkily? Maybe it is hard to say it because once I declare it I will have to make it so. I will have to actually show up and do the work rather than just think about it.

Writing is now my job. It is what I do. I will go to my office every day and put in my time. I will write. I will not check Facebook updates or email. I will not read blogs or cruise websites. I will write. I will set goals and meet them. I will be proud of myself. I will show that mean fifth grade teacher that she was wrong. I will write. I will hush that snarky voice in my head. I will write. I am a writer. Writers write.

2 comments:

Gene Jeansonne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gene Jeansonne said...

I applaud your tenacity.
I think the most motivating force behind my writing is the plethora of "Fs" awarded me by my English teachers.