Saturday, June 12, 2010

Gimcrackery

gimcrackery n 1: ornamental objects of no great value [syn: folderal, falderol, frill, gimcrackery, gimcrack, nonsense, trumpery]
The word above is from today’s “Do I Really Want to Increase My Vocabulary” Blog http://doireallywanttoincreasemyvocabulary.blogspot.com/2010/06/gimcrackery.html
I decided to write this blog about gimcrackery because a friend of mine, after his first visit to my home, was shocked by the amount of gimcrackery I own.
The following day he emailed me this:
A.Word.A.Day
with Anu Garg
congeries
PRONUNCIATION:
(kon-JEER-eez, KON-juh-reez)
MEANING:
noun: A collection of miscellaneous things.
ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin congeries (heap), from congerere (to heap up), from con- (with) + gerere (to carry).
USAGE:
"What an unsightly congeries of mismatched assets the McGuinty government seems to have in mind."

In the same email he requested the web address for my “congeries” blog. I gave him the website of this dear blog and I haven’t heard from him since. This leads me to believe he is either (a) still reading about all of my stuff/gimcrackery/congeries, or (b) he is horrified and has decided he no longer wants to associate with me. Oh, well – back to purging my gimcrackery, or at least writing about it.

1 comment:

tvignos said...

I am here. I cannot think of a better place to go. Technically, attending my cousin's wedding in Colorado Springs. Driving back to the Lubb on Sunday