Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Coke and Kumbaya

This blog entry is in no way meant to support the Coca Cola Company, but I have to say, I think they were on to something with their “I’d like to buy the world a Coke” advertising campaign. I am growing so tired and frustrated and sad by all of the negativity in the world, and especially here in the good old U. S. of A. The blatant disrespect for our Country’s leaders, the hate-mongering, the thinly-veiled bigotry, and outright meanness is, to borrow a circa 1970 phrase, “really bringing me down, man.”

In the 1970s, when my siblings and I were teens and not getting along, the threat my mother made was, “I’m going to make you kids hold hands and sing Kumbaya.” She never actually followed through with the “punishment,” but we got her point and understood she meant for us to remember we loved each other and it was high time we started acting like it.

Buying the world a Coke is the same concept. Why can’t we all just get along, hold hands, drink a Coke (or beverage of your choice), and sing Kumbaya? In my opinion, that sounds wonderful. I can almost hear the birds chirping and see the butterflies and bunnies in this new, magical existence. But, sadly, there will always be those who are too mean and/or narrow-minded to offer their fellow man a Coke (or a glass of water). Too bad my mom is no longer with us. She’d tell them to hold hands and sing, and this time she’d probably follow through with her threat.

No comments: