Monday, April 12, 2010

House of Cards

I think my life is like a house of cards (or maybe like the plate twirling acts on the Ed Sullivan Show). Over the years I’ve become adept at the construction – multiple stories made from multiple decks of cards, but lately I feel as if I’ve maxed out my building capabilities. One more card and the whole shebang will come tumbling down. As it is, I feel like some cards are beginning to slip and I’m working extra hard to shore up my house of cards.

The majority of the cards are face cards, but instead of the Jack, Queen, and King looking at me, I see the faces of my friends, family, co-workers, and clients. I see the face of illness, the face of death, and the face of demand. And every one of them is yelling at me to hurry up, do more, be better.

One more card and it is all going to topple. What will that card be? I’ve recently added the most likeable card to the repertoire – gardening. It is a seasonal card, but one I enjoy. I hope I can find a place for it among the other cards without bringing down the house. We shall see.

No comments: