Sunday, April 9, 2023

The Hobby


A few days ago a conversation with friends led me to comment that I didn't have a hobby, and I probably needed one. This was after seeing a beautiful knit baby blanket one of these friends had made for the soon-to-be-born granddaughter of the other friend. After a pause of a few seconds, I remembered I do have a hobby — oh yes, I read. I am a voracious reader. Why did I not think of this as an acceptable hobby? 


I've been an avid reader since Mrs. Thompson, my fourth grade teacher, read aloud Charlotte's Web every day after lunch. I began visiting the school library regularly and there began my life-long love of books, libraries, and reading. But, for some reason I cannot explain, reading became a true guilty pleasure, with emphasis on guilt. It may have started because I was reading when I was supposed to be doing other things like homework, chores, or looking after my younger siblings. I remember many a night when I was caught reading under the covers with a flashlight and told to get to sleep. Reading was blamed for my extreme myopia. Allegedly I read in bed (under the covers with a flashlight) for the duration of a bout of strep throat and a high fever, which instantly ruined my vision. I doubt that is a true story, but it is one that has added to the reading guilt-trip. 


As I grew older the reading guilt grew to illicit affair level. I read when I should have been cleaning house, doing laundry, or (gasp) tending children. I’ve ignored my husband on long car trips, stayed up too late on the eve of important work deadlines, and isolated myself during family vacations, all for the love of a book. Is this a hobby or an obsession? 


Do other hobbyists have three or four projects going at once? I typically have one or two paper books, a Kindle book, and an audiobook going at the same time. Do other hobbyists work on their hobbies while eating, driving, or trying to fall asleep? Books are truly an addiction for me. Was Mrs. Thompson like the shady drug dealer who offers a free taste, knowing I would get hooked? I know there are worse things to be addicted to, those are stories for other blog entries! 


I could keep writing about how books bring me joy, broaden my horizons, and open my mind, but I have books to read - I mean, I have a hobby to pursue, and must get to it. I checked out a library book on knitting. Who knows, I might just develop an acceptable hobby yet. 

No comments: