Monday, October 3, 2011

Serendipity

Serendipity, Divine intervention, karma, fate, kismet, coincidence – whatever you wish to call it, I love it when it happens. I watch for it daily. Sometimes it is subtle and other times it hits you like a ball-peen hammer to the forehead. Once, at my former non-profit agency job, some kind benefactor donated cases of windbreaker jackets bearing college basketball logos that would be perfect for our indigent clients during winter weather. However, there was a catch. The jackets could only be used if the sewn on basketball emblems were removed, the emblems were specially designed and reserved for top-tier donors to the university and of course could not be worn by someone standing in line at a soup kitchen. Within five minutes of the realization of the conundrum we were facing we received a call from the university department that used to be called Home-Ec., but is called something much fancier these days, offering to do a service project for us. Hello, can you take a seam ripper and remove embroidered patches from hundreds of jackets? Of course they could, and did. Serendipity, baby!

Yesterday, after months of ignoring my desire to write, I decided to resurrect my blog and to begin working on long unfinished writing projects, namely two novels that I think have potential, but have been sitting in that special place where unfinished manuscripts live (a box under my bed) for almost a year. This morning in the newspaper was the following article under Local Briefs: “Writing from the Heart,” a hands-on writing class for anyone who has ever thought about writing or is in the middle of a writing project and needs a jolt of creativity and inspiration to get to “The End,” will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays, Oct. 6 – 22. Ball-peen hammer to the forehead.

This afternoon I signed up for the class, tonight I’m posting this on my blog, perhaps tomorrow I’ll hear from a publisher – serendipity baby!

1 comment:

Deb said...

Good luck on finishing and publishing your books, Jenifer! Hang in there, baby!