Thursday, September 24, 2009

What Do You Want?

I want to go to a doctor when I am sick. I want to pay the doctor a fair price for care, with the help of health insurance, for which I pay a fair price. I want my husband, my children, and any future grandchildren to have affordable health insurance so they may see a doctor if they become ill. I do not want them denied health insurance because they are unemployed, in school, or have a pre-existing condition. I want to have money left over from my paycheck, after the deduction for my health insurance, with which to pay other monthly expenses. I want to pay a fair price for my prescription medication. I don't want to choose between taking a prescribed medication or paying a utility bill. If I should ever have to go to the hospital, I want good care at a fair, affordable price. I do not want to be forced to file bankruptcy because of an illness which required hospitalization.

I want to live in a world that is free of war. If that is not possible, I want to live in a country which is respected as a fair and just peace-maker. I want to live in a country where more money is spent on education than military. I want to live in a country where our young people are valued and well educated. I want to live in a country where our teachers are well educated, valued, and well paid. I want to live in a country where college is not cost-prohibitive.

I want to live in a country where everyone has access to good food. I do not want to be fed pesticides and hormones and genetically modified food. I want healthy, clean, pure food. I don't want my food grown in questionable conditions in another part of the world or country and shipped to me at a great cost, when the farmer down the road could grow it. I want the farmers and laborers paid fairly for the food they grow. I want animals raised for my food to be treated humanely. I want to pay a fair, affordable price for my food. I do not want to choose between adequate, clean food and medical care.

I want to live in a country where my fellow citizens are responsible for themselves. I want to live in a country with compassion for those who cannot be responsible for themselves. I want to live in a country which seeks to solve the core problems of irresponsibility - lack of education and skills, mental illness, drug abuse, hunger, poor parenting, aging, homelessness, to name a few. I want to live in a country which values its elders. I want to live in a country where senior citizens are respected and cared for.

I want to live in a country not divided by political or religious affiliation. I want to be free to hold my own opinions and religious views without fear of persecution or ridicule. I want to live in a country which is tolerant and open-minded. If you do not like or agree with my politics or with my God, at least concede that I may vote and worship however I choose.

I want to live in a country which is respected and respectful. In world politics and in our communities and in our homes I want to remember that respect is earned. I want to lead by example and I want our leaders and my neighbors to do the same.

I want to live in a country which values the earth and seeks to sustain our planet and our universe. I want future generations to have clean water, fresh air, trees, and mountains, and oceans. I want the beauty and sanctity of our world preserved.

I want to be happy. I want others to be happy.

I want to assume we all want the same things.

1 comment:

earthma said...

OK lady, you've hooked me. Since we appear to desire the same things for ourselves and the world and since we are both "domestically challenged" (in my case I would rather say "domestically averse"), I'm biting the bullet and adding yet another blog to my already overburdened computer addiction.

Canning? Kudos! I've all but given it up (when we were farming, I canned hundreds of quarts of everything on a wood cook stove every year), but I do put a few pints of tomatoes and pickled beans up. The rest I leave to my adult children and their spouses, who, I am proud to say, all can, butcher and freeze. So, I'm well provided for!

Thanks for sharing, you are PRIMO, my dear!

Diane