Monday, August 3, 2009

Enchanted

I just returned from the second annual college sorority reunion. It was great fun and a huge success. Following last year's first annual college sorority reunion I was afraid the novelty would have worn off and it wouldn't be as much fun - but my fears were unfounded.

If this weekend's reunion were ever to be made into a movie - a special effects director would have their work cut out for them shooting the arrival scenes. As each woman parked and made her way towards the lake house we rented for the occasion, the rest of us watched as she "morphed" from a fifty- something stranger to a familiar eighteen year old coed. It was as if the ground around our cabin was enchanted. Sadly, the special effects wore off once we left.

One of my favorite classic movies, The Enchanted Cottage, from 1945, starring Dorothy McGuire as a homely woman and Robert Young as a physically war-scarred G.I. has them transformed, once they are in the enchanted cottage, to a beautiful young couple in love. Perhaps that is the same effect our lake cabin had on us. Regardless of our thirty year separation, we were all close friends during our college years. Does love enable us to look past our physical selves and see the beautiful people we are inside?

I am so proud to be a part of this special group - wonderful and accomplished women. Among our group we have an attorney, a doctor, several business owners, a diamond broker, a jewelry mogul, a CPA, an aviation company owner, two cattle ranchers, a free-spirit artist, a probation officer, a home builder/developer, educators, and mothers who have raised phenomenal children (and some who still are - several women had surprisingly young children).

Who could have/would have guessed that we - those fun-loving sorority sisters from the 1970's would have turned out so well? To quote one of the most successful business women at the reunion (my sorority little sister, who flunked out and whose Daddy made her come home because of her propensity for partying), "You didn't make a mistake when you brought me into the sorority, I was just a late bloomer."

We all (almost all, not our doctor) struggled with grades and enjoyed the parties perhaps a bit too much. (Our college had the distinction of being the #1 party school in the nation my freshman year!) But we survived it, and look at us now!

On my six hour return drive I had time to replay the events of the weekend. We laughed so much I am actually sore, we cried, we slept very little, we ate, we drank, we congratulated each other's successes, we sympathized with each other's failure, we marvelled at each others lives since our college years. I am so honored and so proud to be a part of this group of strong, dynamic, empowered women. I am also inspired by them. Inspired to become a better woman, knowing I can - knowing that I took (we all took) a piece of the enchantment home with us this weekend.

1 comment:

Bynum said...

Primo, I sit here with tears in my eyes reading your beautiful message. Indeed, we all had a wonderful time and felt like we were 21 again with skinny bodies and carefree spirits! We are all blessed to be Chi Omegas together at Sam Houston and reconnect after 30 or more years, WOW! And I love my big sister, Flossy's comment when folks arrive that we did not know well in college, "We will hug you just the same". We have a genuine bond and love for each other, just as Christ loves each one of us. We love each other without judgement, prejudice,or arrogance. We have matured and been through different life experiences and we can share our joys and challenges. This is a gift that I do not take for granted. I love you all and I am counting down the days until next year when I can see each of you again and more sisters I didn't know well in college to "hug you just the same". I am praying for a healthy, happy year for each of you and I truly hope to see more Sigma Thetas next year. Bynum (The Diamond Broker)